Sony’s SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) projectors are known for their sharp, ultra high definition 4K image quality. However, like all projectors, the lamp is a consumable item that will eventually need to be replaced. Replacing the projector lamp in a Sony 4K SXRD projector is a straightforward process that can be done in less than 30 minutes.
This guide will walk you through the steps for replacing the lamp in Sony’s VPL-VW295ES, VPL-VW385ES, VPL-VW695ES, and VPL-VW5000ES 4K SXRD projectors. The process is very similar across these projector models. Be sure to only use original Sony replacement lamps to ensure optimal image quality and safety.
When to Replace the Projector Lamp
The lamp hour counter on your Sony 4K SXRD projector displays the running total of hours used. Sony recommends replacing the lamp at around 4000-5000 hours for optimal performance. Image brightness and quality will start to decline past this point.
You’ll also want to replace the lamp if you notice a significant decrease in brightness, even if the lamp hour counter is under 4000 hours. The lamp may be defective or failing prematurely.
Finally, immediately replace the lamp if you see a flashing lamp warning indicator. This means the lamp has exceeded its usable life and there is an increased risk of it bursting. Don’t delay replacement once you see this warning.
Sony 4K SXRD Projector Lamp Replacement Parts
You’ll need a few items when replacing the lamp in your Sony 4K SXRD projector:
- New original Sony replacement lamp – Use the lamp designed for your specific projector model. Lamps are not interchangeable between different models.
- Phillips screwdriver – To remove the lamp cover housing.
- Soft lint-free cloth – For cleaning dust.
Only use original Sony lamps to ensure optimal brightness and compatibility. Generic replacement lamps may not fit correctly or perform as well. The lamp part numbers are:
- Sony VPL-VW295ES: LMP-H280 (Part #6141031)
- Sony VPL-VW385ES: LMP-H281 (Part #6141032)
- Sony VPL-VW695ES: LMP-H280 (Part #6141031)
- Sony VPL-VW5000ES: LMP-H281 (Part #6141032)
Be very careful when handling the new lamp, don’t touch the glass with your fingers. Use gloves or grasp it only by the plastic mounting frame. Oils from your fingers can create hot spots and cause premature failure.
Step-by-Step Lamp Replacement Instructions
Follow these steps to safely replace the lamp in your Sony 4K SXRD projector:
1. Turn Off the Projector
Press the power button on the projector or remote to turn it off. Allow the projector lamp at least one hour to fully cool down before continuing. This prevents burns and allows the lamp to be handled safely.
2. Disconnect Cables
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. Disconnect any cables connected to the projector like HDMI and audio cables.
3. Remove the Lamp Cover
Turn the projector over so the bottom is facing up. Locate the lamp cover on the underside. Remove the 4 screws securing the cover using a Phillips screwdriver. Carefully remove the lamp cover.
4. Remove Old Lamp Module
Locate the handle on the old lamp module. Lift up and gently pull the lamp module straight out to remove it. Place the old lamp aside and do not touch the glass.
5. Install New Lamp Module
Pick up the new replacement lamp module by the handle. Align the connections and gently insert the new lamp, pushing it firmly into place. Only touch the plastic frame, not the glass.
6. Reset Lamp Timer
Turn on the projector but do not replace the lamp cover yet. Navigate to the “Lamp Timer Reset” menu and select “Reset” to reset the lamp hour counter to zero. This allows accurate tracking of the new lamp’s hours.
7. Replace Lamp Cover
Turn off the projector. Replace the lamp cover using the 4 screws to secure it. Carefully flip the projector right side up.
8. Recycle or Dispose Old Lamp
Place the old lamp in its original packaging or box for storage. Sony has a lamp recycling program, or you can contact your local waste management company for proper lamp disposal instructions. Never place a projector lamp in normal household waste.
The lamp replacement process is now complete! You can reconnect cables and power on your Sony 4K SXRD projector to enjoy many more hours of ultra high definition viewing with the new lamp. Be sure to reset the lamp timer for accurate hour tracking.
- If the new lamp doesn’t turn on, re-seat the lamp to ensure the connection is secure. Ensure the lamp cover is installed correctly.
- Only use original high quality Sony replacement lamps for optimal performance and longevity. Generic lamps may not work well.
- Still seeing a flashing lamp warning after a new lamp is installed? The lamp itself may be defective. Try replacing it with another new lamp.
- Make sure to handle the bare lamp very carefully by the plastic frame only. Oils from skin can cause hot spots and premature failure.
- Properly recycling old lamps is important – they contain hazardous mercury vapor. Follow local regulations for e-waste and lamp disposal.
Replacing the lamp on a Sony 4K SXRD home theater projector restores optimal image brightness and quality. With a new lamp installed, you can continue enjoying your projector for thousands of hours to come. Just be sure to reset that lamp timer!