Viewsonic projectors are most commonly used in classrooms, conference rooms, and other meeting spaces. This is because they offer an easy way to share content with the entire group without the hassle of using a computer or laptop. Viewsonic projector troubleshooting tips will help you get your projector up and running so it can be put back into service for its next use.
You will find out where to start from and how to troubleshoot any issues that may arise. If so, this article can help! It’s filled with tips about what could be wrong and how to fix it.
20 Viewsonic Projector Troubleshooting and Solution
1. Check the power connection
When you notice a problem with your Viewsonic projector, the first thing you should do is checking the power connection. There are a few things that could go wrong here.
If there isn’t enough power going to the outlet it may cause problems for the projector. Also, if the unit was unplugged and plugged back in, there might have been a power surge which can also cause problems.
Here are some things to check if there isn’t enough power going to the outlet:
Make sure you have a working outlet not on a circuit with another appliance or device. Circuits will often trip and reset themselves after they have been tripped once, so it is essential to check if this has happened as well.
Check the circuit breaker and fuse box to see if there are any tripped breakers or fuses that need checking or replacing. If so, reset those as required. Of course, always make sure that you have turned off power to the outlet and circuit before touching any of the breakers or fuses.
If you have an extension cord on your unit, make sure it is not overloaded with power. Also, be aware that extension cords do trip more frequently than normal outlets because there are usually multiple devices connected to them at once.
Make sure you use a power cord rated for use with your particular Viewsonic projector model. If the power cord becomes damaged, it can cause problems as well.
The unit may have been wired incorrectly from the factory, so make sure to check all connections and wiring, especially if you suspect that there has been a power surge or a problem with the circuit.
Verify that the power cord is securely connected to the projector’s back and to a working outlet. To do this, you’ll need either a flashlight or some type of lamp turned on near the projector so you can see into it and see if there are any obvious issues like bent pins or broken connections where it plugs in.
Try a different power cord if you have one available to see if this is the source of the problem with your Viewsonic projector.
If all else fails, try using a backup electrical generator as there may be an issue with the electric company’s service or a substation that has been damaged or taken offline.
2. Remove the lens cover
If the lens cover is not removed, it can cause interference with your Viewsonic projector. Loose or damaged lens covers are often the culprit for this type of problem.
- Verify that the lens cover fits securely on your Viewsonic projector model. If it doesn’t fit properly, you might need to get another one from the manufacturer or supplier that you got your unit.
- Make sure the lens cover is completely clean and free of any debris like dirt, lint, dust, etc., before you try to use it again if this was the cause for the problem with your Viewsonic projector.
- If there is damage to the lens cover, you might need to replace it.
- For models that have interchangeable lenses, try swapping out the lens for another one if there’s a chance that one of them has been damaged or has fallen off. It only takes seconds to switch lenses, which makes this an easy fix if multiple lenses are available.
3. Verify the lens
If the lens is dirty or damaged, it can cause problems with your Viewsonic projector. You should check to make sure that you have not accidentally dropped any foreign objects into the lens area, as this could damage either the lens itself or the internal components of your Viewsonic projector that are housed in this area.
4. Check the projector’s video connections and cable
There are many reasons why your Viewsonic projector might not be properly projecting the picture. Sometimes it’s as simple as the wrong type of cable being used or a loose connection somewhere in the device.
Make sure that you have chosen and plugged in the proper accessories for your particular Viewsonic projector model. For example, if you have a VPL-VW40 and you’re using an S-video cable, you won’t be able to get the screen to come up properly.
Verify that all video and audio cables are securely connected from both ends of your Viewsonic projector and the device you are trying to connect it to.
Make sure that the cables are in good working order. If they’re frayed or have splices, you’ll need to replace them.
For some Viewsonic projector models, you need to use specific cables to work properly. If your cables are not working with your device, check out the manual for your particular Viewsonic projector model to see what types of cables can be used with it.
If you have recently been installing a ceiling mount or have done some heavy construction work in the area, there may be loose connections in the cabling, causing this problem. In this case, you’ll want to recheck all of your connections to make sure that they are secure again.
Make sure that all equipment is plugged directly into a working wall outlet and not into another power strip, surge protector or extension cord as this will cause problems with your Viewsonic projector.
- For portable video projectors, the power supply maybe be faulty or damaged.
- For Viewsonic projector models that do not use a traditional power cord to plugin, you might need to replace the battery inside of it.
- Verify that the voltage is properly set for your Viewsonic projector model if it has this option available to it.
If you have been working with a computer, verify that it is set to turn off automatically after a certain amount of time passes. In some cases, your Viewsonic projector will not come on even though it has powered up because the computer was left on and didn’t go into screensaver mode, etc.
5. Check the display options for your Viewsonic projector
If the only problem you are having with your Viewsonic projector is that it won’t display properly, you can take some steps that will allow you to resolve this issue.
Verify that the particular computer you’re working with has multiple video cards installed and the correct drivers for the ones used by your Viewsonic projector. Note that many computers won’t allow you to use more than one video card at a time so make sure to check with the manufacturer of your computer if this is necessary for your particular Viewsonic projector model.
- Verify that the native resolution of your Viewsonic projector matches up with the settings available from your computer.
- Verify that your Viewsonic projector’s input is set correctly for the specific device you are trying to use with it.
- If applicable, verify that “Viewable Image” or a similar setting is enabled on your display options so that you can see what’s being projected from your Viewsonic projector.
You may explore:
- Epson Projector Troubleshooting
- Goodee Projector Troubleshooting
- Vankyo Projector Troubleshooting
- Optoma Projector Troubleshooting
6. Check your lamp playtime
In some cases, if your Viewsonic projector has been on for a very long time and you have never turned it off, its lamp may be too hot to turn on. In this case, the only way to fix it will be to allow it some time to cool off before you can get your picture back.
7. Check the power management settings
In some cases, the power management settings on your computer may be causing this problem. To resolve it, you’ll need to make sure both the computer and Viewsonic projector are set up never to turn off or go into sleep mode when plugged in.
Most computers will have this option available through their power management settings. Viewsonic projectors will either have it available in the options for your specific Viewsonic projector model or as a separate universal setting.
Verify that both your computer and Viewsonic projector are plugged directly into a wall outlet instead of another power strip, surge protector, or extension cord, as this can cause power problems for your Viewsonic projector.
Verify that the cord and plug you’re using to connect your Viewsonic projector to a wall outlet is connected correctly and has not become loose in any way.
If applicable, verify that the voltage is set for your country or region instead of using a universal setting which may cause this problem.
Verify that the power management settings on your computer and Viewsonic projector are not set to turn off or go into sleep mode when plugged in through a wall outlet.
Verify that all of your Viewsonic projector’s fans and vents are unobstructed and clear of any obstructions such as dirt or dust.
8. ViewSonic Projector app won’t load or not working properly
You can take some steps to ensure that your Viewsonic projector’s app (if it has one) is working properly and that you don’t run into any issues with it.
- Verify that your computer or mobile device is connected directly to the same network as your Viewsonic projector without any other devices in the middle, which could cause interference.
- Verify that your Viewsonic projector’s network settings are set to “Auto” or “DHCP” instead of using a fixed IP address if it has this option.
- Verify that you can access other websites without interruption in service; if not, try another internet browser on your computer or mobile device.
- Verify that other devices are not disrupting your Viewsonic projector’s network on the same network that are using a lot of bandwidth such as streaming video services, torrents or other P2P programs.
- If you have just installed an application recently, try to uninstall it completely before using it again.
9. Check that your Viewsonic projector is not in sleep mode
In some cases, if the screen of your Viewsonic projector displays an image but nothing comes out, you may be dealing with a situation where your Viewsonic projector is in sleep mode and there’s no way to turn it off without unplugging it. After 4 hours, Viewsonic projectors will automatically go into sleep mode if nothing is being sent to them over inactive parts of the screen.
10. ViewSonic Projector login issue or account-related issues
Suppose you’re having trouble logging into your Viewsonic projector or you can’t access any of its online account features such as downloading software updates.
In that case, there may be a problem with either your Viewsonic projector’s network settings or the email address and password that is associated with your Viewsonic projector.
Go through all of your devices and ensure that they are running the newest software and operating system updates.
Go through your email account’s security features such as blocking emails from unrecognized addresses or having a secure password on it which can also come into play if you’re trying to access an online account for your Viewsonic projector but the login credentials aren’t working.
Reset your Viewsonic projector’s network settings by unplugging the power cord from the wall outlet and wait 5 minutes before plugging it back in, this should reset all of its network settings to their default factory settings which is what you’ll need to do when setting up a new wireless connection for it.
If you’re positive that your Viewsonic projector’s email address and password are correct and you’re still unable to access it, then the problem may be with either your Viewsonic projector or the online account itself. Contact customer support for more details on how to fix this issue.
11. ViewSonic Projector app installation issues
You could run into many issues when attempting to install the Viewsonic projector app on your computer and mobile device.
Check for any updates to your computer or mobile device’s operating system and make sure it is compatible with the Viewsonic projector app by checking its minimum system requirements before installing it.
Restart your computer and mobile device after updating its operating system or viewing a video that displays a “Downloading” message for at least 10 seconds to see if the Viewsonic projector app starts installing properly.
Make sure you have enough disk space free on your computer and mobile device, which could be full up with temporary files that can prevent apps from installing correctly.
Make sure that your computer and mobile device’s network is not being disrupted by other devices on the same network such as a streaming video service using a lot of bandwidth and turn off any download software running in the background to see if it fixes the Viewsonic projector app installation issue.
- If you have just installed an application recently, try to uninstall it completely before using it again.
- If installation issues persist, then visit the Viewsonic projector app page for more information on installing it properly.
12. Audio/video loading problem with ViewSonic Projector
If you’re having sound and/or video issues with the Viewsonic projector, then there’s a good chance that either can fix it:
- Updating its audio and/or video device drivers if they aren’t up to date on your computer
- Restarting your computer after updating its audio and/or video device drivers to make sure they work properly
- Making sure that the Viewsonic projector is not muted and the volume slider on it is turned up to maximum volume
- Check for any possible errors or popups that appear while a video or audio file loads by using a different web browser such as Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer.
13. ViewSonic Projector app Notifications are not working
If you’re not receiving Viewsonic projector app notifications, then there’s a good chance that the notification settings for it are either incorrect or disabled on your computer and mobile device.
- Make sure that text notifications are turned on by going to the Viewsonic projector app settings and then checking to see if a “Show when minimized” option is enabled.
- Make sure that email notifications are turned on by going to the Viewsonic projector app settings and then checking to see if a “Notification sound” option is enabled.
- If you have recently changed your computer’s time zone settings, try changing them back to their original settings before using the Viewsonic projector app.
- If you recently installed an application, try uninstalling and reinstalling the Viewsonic projector app to reset its notification settings for this
- If you’re still not receiving notifications with the Viewsonic projector app, contact customer support for more help on this issue.
14. ViewSonic projector app errors
If you’re receiving Viewsonic projector app errors then there’s a good chance that this is caused by one of the following issues:
Hardware problems with your computer or mobile device such as its hard drive being full, audio card not working properly, or something else broken on it which can prevent the Viewsonic projector app from working correctly.
Incompatible software running on your computer or mobile device such as a video player that doesn’t support projector output, corrupt drivers for the Viewsonic projector app, or a virus that keeps popping up alerts while it’s open, then try to uninstall and reinstall the Viewsonic projector app again.
A problem with the Viewsonic projector itself could be causing an error so unplug it from its power source to reset it then try using it again
Problems with your computer’s audio settings could be preventing the Viewsonic projector app from working properly so check all of your audio settings by right-clicking on your desktop screen then clicking on “Sound” then check to see if your computer’s audio is set to either the default device or some other type of audio output.
Other problems with your computer could prevent it from using the Viewsonic projector app correctly.
15. ViewSonic Projector Not Working on Windows 8
There are a couple of good reasons why the Viewsonic projector app might not work on Windows 8 such as:
Your computer’s audio drivers may need to be updated if they’re outdated because this could prevent your computer from recognizing that a new device has been attached to it via HDMI then go download its latest audio drivers from either its hardware manufacturer or from a 3rd party website.
Your Viewsonic projector itself may not be compatible with Windows 8 then go check its official product page to see if your model is listed in the “Compatible with” section or you can download and install a different screen mirroring app that’s compatible with it such as Xmirr or Chrome Remote Desktop
An update for Windows 8 may have disabled the Viewsonic projector app along with other apps that are not compatible with it so try updating your computer to the latest version of Windows then check if the Viewsonic projector app works now.
Make sure that you’re using a PC or laptop with an HDMI port because if this isn’t the case then you can’t use a Viewsonic projector with Windows 8.
If your computer still has problems recognizing the Viewsonic projector, try unplugging it from its power source to reset it, then plug it back in again.
16. ViewSonic Projector Not Working on macOS
If your Viewsonic projector isn’t working properly on macOS, then make sure that:
The Viewsonic projector is connected to your computer via HDMI and the included USB cable or some other type of video output such as VGA, DVI, or DisplayPort then try using a different port on your computer if one of them works.
An update for macOS may have disabled the Viewsonic projector app in favor of a different screen mirroring app such as AirServer then try updating your computer to the latest version of macOS and check if it runs properly with that app.
Your Viewsonic projector itself may not be compatible with macOS, so try using a different screen mirroring app, such as Xmirr or Chrome Remote Desktop, then check to see if it works properly.
Make sure that your Viewsonic projector is connected to a power source since computer batteries may not provide enough power for the Viewsonic projector to work properly then try connecting it directly into an electrical outlet.
Your Viewsonic projector may not be turned on if you’re hearing audio but aren’t seeing any video then try turning it on and check to see if it works properly now.
17. ViewSonic Projector App Not Working on iOS
If the Viewsonic projector app isn’t working properly with iOS then make sure that your Viewsonic projector is connected to the same wireless network as your iOS device then try using a different screen mirroring app on your iOS device that’s compatible with it such as Xmirr or Chrome Remote Desktop.
18. ViewSonic Projector App Not Working on Android
If the Viewsonic projector app isn’t working properly with Android, make sure that your Viewsonic projector is connected to the same wireless network as your Android device before using it because otherwise, you’ll need to hardwire them together using an Ethernet cable or a USB connection.
You can also try using a different screen mirroring app on your Android device such as Xmirr or Chrome Remote Desktop that’s compatible with your Viewsonic projector.
19. ViewSonic Projector App Not Working on Amazon Fire OS
If the Viewsonic projector app isn’t working properly with Amazon Fire OS then make sure that:
- Your computer and your Amazon Fire tablet are connected to the same wireless network
- You’re using a computer that has an Android or iOS operating system and not a Windows 7, 8, 10, or XP operating system
- Make sure that your Viewsonic projector is connected to a power source since computer batteries may not provide enough power for the Viewsonic projector to work properly.
An update for Amazon Fire OS may have disabled the Viewsonic projector app along with other apps that are not compatible with it, so try updating your Amazon Fire tablet to the latest version of its operating system. Then check if the Viewsonic projector app is working now.
20. Viewsonic remote control not working
If you’re using a remote control to use your Viewsonic projector and it isn’t responding then make sure that:
The batteries in the remote control aren’t dead because if they are, they need to be replaced before the remote will work again
The Viewsonic IR receiver is plugged into a USB connection on your computer or projector and is facing the front of the device then try turning off the power to your device and unplugging everything in it except for your Viewsonic IR receiver and restarting again.
The Viewsonic remote control does not come with a USB cable, so make sure that you don’t have one plugged into your Viewsonic IR receiver before using it.
Make sure that your projector or computer has a USB port that’s powered then plug in the Viewsonic IR receiver into it and check if the remote control works correctly now.
What is the procedure for resetting a ViewSonic projection system?
When you first start up your Viewsonic projector, you are given the option of setting it to its factory default settings. This can be done by pressing and holding the projection system’s reset button for 5 seconds.
If this is not successful, you may need to disconnect the power cord from both ends and wait a minute or two before reconnecting. This should reset the projector to its original state, with no personal information saved.
If these steps do not work, you may need to reset all of the input sources so that your computer projects different displays or inputs. To do this, hold in alt and tap f4 on the keyboard when powering up the projector system. This should reset to factory default displays.
Viewsonic projector troubleshooting is an issue many people have, but it doesn’t need to be difficult. Viewsonic projector support is available for all your needs. If you have any problems with the projectors we offer, contact us, and we will be happy to help!
Leave a Comment